- About the program
- Program rules
- Program courses
- Academic staff
The medical education program is one of the most important programs necessary for the medical team in the Syrian universities and for university professors who practice the medical profession besides their academic teaching. They develop their roles as clinical teachers and develop their skills to design learning strategies suitable for their students and theories to enhance training and clinical practice in accordance with the international standards of quality of medical education in clinics, hospitals and health care centers to meet the needs of the Syrian society.
The medical education program enhances the mechanism of establishing the principles and ethics of practicing the profession during clinical training to achieve the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of the patient and ensure the provision of health care and treatment to the fullest. It also develops the medical skills of the teaching staff and the delivery of information and clinical experience to the trainees in the Syrian educational hospitals in a systematic and academic manner to ensure the achievement of the mission of these hospitals in the training of the student providing optimal service to the patient, and promoting the medical field researches by the practitioner and clinical professor.
The medical education program develops the clinical practitioner's skills in clinical decision-making and provides medical care as part of an integrated team that has the spirit of teamwork. This program includes informing clinical instructors and trainers on the basic clinical competencies and cognitive and professional fields required of students from medical professions before practicing the profession. This comprises developing the medical team's skills in the formulation of modern medical curricula, designing practical training programs in clinics and hospitals, and implementing teaching and evaluation methods according to the community needs, in accordance with the available environment and the number of trainees and patients.
The program also develops the clinical teacher Skills to design, construct and manage the most recent tests implemented worldwide to measure and evaluate clinical competencies and skills in clinics and hospitals. In addition, it contributes to the development of the doctor's skills in using technology and modern technology in clinical education and training and to develop their skills as a teacher and team leader in hospital and surgical rooms.
The Medical Education Program aims to prepare a staff of qualified consultants to contribute to the advancement of medical education in the Syrian Arab Republic and to keep up on the academic accreditation of the colleges of medical professions.
- Knowledge and Understanding:
The program addresses many of the principles, fundamentals and modern terminology that form the basis of the graduate of the medical education program, who will be familiar with the following when the program is completed:
- Principles of medical education, cognitive, professional, research and academic fields in medical teaching and learning.
- Outcome-based learning, competencies-Based Learning -based Learning, Meta-competencies, and Community-based Learning
- Principles of the application and analysis of medical curricula.
- Modern and innovative strategies in the field of medical education.
- Principles of learning in large and small groups, problem-based learning, and principles of learning in the operating room / patient bed and hospital.
- Modern medical learning strategies and tools for measuring the learning environment.
- New learning spaces and learning environment in light of technical progress.
- Principles of medicine and clinical practice based on evidence and medical databases.
- The principles of modern measurement and tools and methods of modern measurement for the exploration of surgical skills and clinical competencies.
- Principles of interpretation of clinical test scores, evaluation of test results and evaluation of the results of the self-assessment of the clinical instructor.
- Quality Assurance Approach to Medical Education, Principles and fundamentals for Quality Assurance of Medical Education and Reliability of the Colleges of Medical Professions.
- Principles and guidelines of the World Federation for the accreditation of colleges of medical professions; and the steps and requirements of the process of accreditation of national medical professions.
- The main steps and requirements for the accreditation of the medical profession education institution by the global accreditation bodies, including the principles of self-report and visits.
- Principles of internal and external auditing of the medical educational institution.
- Ethical criteria for evaluation of clinical programs.
- Principles of research in medical education and the global tools used for the quality of performance of the educational institutions.
- Concepts of management and administrative leadership in medical education and in improving performance in health institutions and the development of health professions education.
- Concept of training of clinical trainers.
- Distance learning programs and continuous electronic medical learning.
- Appropriate tools and methods for presenting data and information and creating educational electronic content.
B. Intellectual Abilities:
Upon completion of the medical education program, the graduate will be able to:
- Evaluate the current state of medical curricula and identify future needs.
- Develop plans and strategies to change the curricula of medical colleges.
- Develop strategies for the development of clinical training in hospitals.
- Develop the learner's higher learning skills to contribute to the application of "outcome-based" learning, solving clinical problems and making appropriate clinical decision in a timely manner.
- Adopting an evidence-based approach in practice.
- Practice self-learning skills.
- Apply critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
C. Practical Skills:
Upon completion of the medical education program, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply professional concepts and standards of the medical education in clinical practice.
- Distinguish the differences between educational targets and goals, educational purposes and educational outputs.
- Determine the characteristics of the graduates in the community and the principles of a student-centered learning and teacher-based learning.
- Design the map of the medical curriculum according to the strategies and the modern learning environment.
- Formulate modern medical curricula and identify the differences between them and the traditional medical curricula.
- Apply community-based medical education programs.
- Adopt ethical considerations in the practice of evidence-based medicine.
- 8. Application of the principles of medicine based on evidence in clinical research and practice.
- Apply modern methods of teaching and learning in medical professions colleges and in accordance with the different cultures, and design clinical practical activities to train new doctors and develop their abilities (problem solving-based learning ...).
- Design and organize educational training course and design the educational materials in the field of medical specialization, and the design of posters and medical guidelines.
- Conduct interactive clinical seminars using modern learning methods.
- Design lessons and workshops based on solving clinical problems.
- Conduct training programs for trainers.
- Design and build practical tests to measure clinical competencies and skills in small and large groups using different measurement methods.
- Evaluate the clinical trainee in the hospitals and provide feedback to the trainee, which will contribute to the development of the practical and managerial abilities of the trained doctors and contribute to the development of their performance.
- Design tools for assessing the learning environment.
- Formulate a protocol for the medical education research, adoption of scientific research ethics and getting informed consent.
- Collect and analyze data on medical education research.
- Act as internal auditor of the medical institution.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the institution's medical education programs.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the clinical training programs and the related reports submitted.
- Apply management skills and leadership in the clinical workplace.
- Change management in the medical institution.
- Develop a plan for maximizing the utilization of all human and infrastructural resources.
D. General Transferring Skills:
Students are expected to have a range of knowledge, skills and values, including:
- Effective communication with colleagues and the medical team.
- Show respect for different perspectives.
- Accept constructive criticism and provide and accept feedback from others.
- Manage large and small groups effectively.
- Possessing the skills of computer driving and modern technologies in effectively in the field of teaching, learning, measuring and evaluating.
- Working in a team spirit, especially within the operating room.
- Change management and differences-resolving within the group.
- Adopting moral values (fairness - honesty - transparency) in measuring the performance of the medical team and the institution and conducting research.
- Adopting positive values, attitudes and ethical considerations during the auditing and evaluating of the educational institution.